2013 IFT Resolutions arrow

Resolution No. - 30 - Support for a Fair Income Tax for Illinois

Submitted by: University Professionals of Illinois, Local 4100

WHEREAS, the Illinois Federation of Teachers Legislative Platform seeks comprehensive improvements to fair collection of revenue to sufficiently fund public education; and

WHEREAS, the State of Illinois currently faces a budget deficit that has grown to $43.6 billion, while legislators struggle to find adequate funding for vital and necessary state programs, among them higher education; and

WHEREAS, Illinois ranks among the lowest spending states (42nd in 2004 according to U.S. Census Data), and therefore the budget deficit is primarily due to revenue appropriation rather than allocation and cannot be solved by cutting spending alone; and

WHEREAS, the State of Illinois ranks among the 10 least equitable states in terms of adjusted gross income, according to the Institute on Taxation and Economic Policy; and

WHEREAS, a graduated tax system would actually lower tax rates for 94 percent of residents of the state of Illinois, raise taxes on the remaining 6 percent by minimal amounts (the highest increase being 2.6 percent), and would increase revenues by at least $2.4 billion annually; and

WHEREAS, a more balanced budget will lessen political pressure to defund the earned benefit of public employee pensions; and

WHEREAS, the creation of a graduated tax system in Illinois has been proposed and is gaining attention across the state; and

WHEREAS, campaigns against the proposed graduated tax system have already begun, including use of misinformation and distortions; therefore be it

RESOLVED, that the Illinois Federation of Teachers (IFT) enthusiastically endorses the efforts to place a constitutional amendment on the 2014 ballot that will remove the prohibition against a graduated income tax; and be it further

RESOLVED, that IFT’s Legislative and Political agenda gives this cause high priority, including appropriate educational support; and be it finally

RESOLVED, that IFT’s leaders work with the Illinois Education Association, the League of Women Voters, and the various labor, social, and civic organizations that are coordinating this effort.



    Copyright © 2019 Illinois Federation of Teachers